Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Word Verification? Stuck on Stupid!

As I travel the "Blogger" universe, I notice that most, if not all blogsites have the word verification step in posting comments. Is this an option that Blogger offers by default? Can you put it on, or take it off? I don't want to waste time finding out. But as I see it, the step is one for IDIOTS!

If I want to post a comment, I'm supposed to match the somewhat distorted letters in the box. To what end? To show that I can read distorted letters and use my type pad? I just used the stupid typepad to comment on a topic; what the blazes do I need to prove with this step...that I'm five points above imbecile? And if I get it wrong, what does that mean? I have to do it AGAIN, only with fewer and bigger letters so I get it right this time. AGGRAVATION! Maybe it is a weeding out process; imbeciles and morons need not comment, just idiots.

Folks, I always try to treat my blog guests with dignity and respect. I will not expect you to verify to me that you can read underwater letters and type them in the box. So I will not include this "fun" feature on my blogsite. If you have sound and creative thoughts to share, just post the comment and relax.

My request to my fellow bloggers...please take this useless word verification step off of your blogsites. It makes no logical sense. If it does, PUUUULEEEEEEEASSE enlighten me!

4 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I had to put the verification on my blog because I was being overwhelmingly attacked by blog spam. One time I posted an article and in the next few minutes, I had over 25 comments--all of which were spam. Being as how it is painstaking to go through and delete each individual comment, I had to do something to protect my blog.
This spamming was infiltrating everyone in our blogging circle too. It's like whatever method they use for posting automatic spam was using our links to hit our friends as well.
The verification prevents this automatic system the spammers use for posting comments.
I'm sorry it's so frustrating. I'd take it off if I could.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

What Sadie Lou said. I was getting bombarded by spammers. It was driving me nuts. I was spending more time deleting inane solicitations than I wanted to.

If you end up with that prob, tell me and I'll tell you how to switch your settings.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Tyson said...

in technical terms, spam bots can't read images, which is what the word verification strings are. word verification are officially called "captchas," which stands for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. i kid you not.

just check it out on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

and captchas (and spammers' counter-efforts) are actually considered on the forefront of computer science research.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Thank you all for getting me unstuck from stupid! *LOL*

I've not received the level of spam you are getting. Maybe my subject matter is turning them off!

It's great learning new things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home