Saturday, June 11, 2005

I'm not making this up...much!

There's a story floating of which I can't really vouch for its authenticity. But, it was soon after Benedict the XVI's coronation that he met with his chief advisor with a great sense of urgency. He said to his key advisor, "I'm sick of the wrangling to see which religion, Catholicism or Judaism, is superior. Let's settle it once and for all...on the golf course. Let's get a hold of the head rabbi in Jerusalem and challenge him to a single elimination golf contest, and whoever wins, that religion is the best religion. Now, the problem is, I don't want to lose, but I don't golf! Go to the United States and get Jack Nichlaus. Make him a cardinal or something, and offer anything to him to get him to play. I cannot emphasize enough the need for the Catholic Church to come out on top."

So the advisor did as the pope had told him. Nichlaus had agreed to become a cardinal, and he met the Jewish rabbi at Whistling Straits.

The next day, the pope called in his chief advisor and asked about the results. The advisor sheepishly said, "Sadly, holy father, Cardinal Nichlaus came in second."

Shocked, the pope said, "What? Do you know what this means? I thought we had it in the bag! How could he lose?"

The advisor said, "Cardinal Nichlaus just didn't have the skills to beat Rabbi Woods!"

5 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

LOL..very good!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

*LOL* Thanks for brightening my day. How refreshing to find a Chritian intellectual. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Thanks! There's a lot of "bright" Christian intellectuals out here, it's just the "dim bulbs" get most of the press.

I hope you do enjoy my blog and feel free to engage in spirited and reasoned dialogue.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I will tell you something, in all horrible seriousness.

I am blessed by many friends and family, but have been very mentally and spiritually lonely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some needy cretin surfing blogs. But to discuss things with another Christian intellectual is a rare treat for me.

Thanks!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

I'm glad to be your brother. We Christians are family, and our elder Brother is Jesus.

When I converted to the Catholic faith, I soon found out who were my true friends; all of them deserted me, and my family thought I was crazy. I had just a handful of people who knew what I did was right. Even still, that loneliness was pure hell and heaven at the same time. It reminds me of Christ in Gethsemane. He's not going to be the only one who's going to suffer. I want to know him, in his sufferings to. I'm still too immature to know the depth of what that means.

I'm thinking of creating another blog to deal with the theological stuff of life. This blog of course is to show the importance of philosophical realism in terms of logic. I'll alert the press when I do.

In the meantime, feel free to drop by. I already visited your blogsite and found it quite well done!

Thanks for stoppin'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home