Friday, February 24, 2006

On Giving Birth to Cows and Chickens...

I've been a bit out of the news loop of late, busy at it studying in my "cave." So, hopefully you'll allow me some space as I try to grapple with "Port-gate" and the enormous emotional reaction to it. However, since crawling out of my underground hideaway, I am amazed at the emotional frenzy! Cows and chickens are roaming the streets making a huge mess since being birthed by human beings these past few days.

Grant it, when I first heard that the management of six U.S. ports was being subcontracted to the UAE, my first emotional reaction was a 110 decibal "WHAT!!!!!?" However, after taking some time to gather myself (that took quite an exersion of will!), I wanted to know more of the facts. I wanted to know why the president insisted he would veto any legislation to block the deal. Seemed odd. In addition, and more importantly, I wanted to know why former President Carter and former Secretary of State Madeline Albreight would support it as well. Now we are talking "Twilight Zone" here. Doesn't THAT seem wierd? Is this some "Trilateral Commission" conspiracy or something? Are there "black helicopters" flying around our ports now?

After allowing my blood to flow back into the logic centers of my genuis quality brain (funny), I discovered that there are a few port management companies in the world, some who currently manage our west coast ports (Hongkong) and East Coast (Britain), I was a bit surprised. I thought (naively, of course) that we manage our own ports. This is not only the case with our ports, but with many ports in countries around the world.

Since we live in a post 9/11 world, it seems fair to make sure that our vulnerable points of entry are guarded against terrorist attack. So the emotional response to this news is quite understandable. But, let's not act like surrogate parents of farm animals! Okay? Let's let reason prevail and let the facts and logic see our way through the risks that are involved.

NRO: Symposium on Port Security

Krauthammer: A Dubai Finesse

I've included a couple of articles that give some context to this whole affair, and ask that you join me in taking a level headed approach to all this. Logic must prevail even though emotions are a sure indicator that something might be wrong, especially if Carter and Albreight support it! (Just kidding!!) I'm not going to expound upon the hypocritical and frenzied responses of the far left. I have to save my little gray cells for important stuff, like mid-term papers and exams. Let me invite you to read two articles that have been helpful and if you find information, feel free to include it in the comment section.

Let's use our minds and get the answers we need; our emotions indicate something wierd may be happening here. A thirty day period to investigate this situation and to calm ourselves down is more than reasonable, Mr. President. And if it is such a great deal, we need to know what are the safeguards that will be in place. And even more to the point, at ANY vulnerable entry point to our country (say the BORDERS), to know what safeguards are in place. As for the rest of us, let's leave animal parenthood to what nature intended...to the mamma cows and chickens.

5 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God! I have been feeling that I must be delusional. This has escalated beyond all reason. I agree with you. My initial reaction was what the hell. But, we all need to back up and do a little research and THINKING. I am pretty sure that there are a few politicians who are busy trying to figure out how to bow out gracefully. This is incredible.

I look forward to a rational and informed discussion. Thanks for a good post.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

I doubt that we'll see rational and informed in large quantities in the MSM. However, we bloggers can set the bar. I saw Rudolph Julianni this morning on the "Today Show." He seems level headed as well, and yet would definitely prefer American companies managing the ports. I agree.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the lack of discussion is due to a lack of information. I am not confident that I am getting substantive data yet. Right now just alot of posturing. I think that I and many Americans are trying to get our arms around this issue. The White House needs to be more proactive and start talking! They have left too many hanging in anticipation of a defendable position. IMHO

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Well, you may have read MY post about it. I am sticking to my guns: this one is unsavory and odd.

There are too many things that continue to be uncovered, like a festering wound under a bandaid.

I voted for Bush twice, and I am a Republican, but I will NEVER give anyone the credit for being a perfect person with perfect reasoning, except for Jesus.

Too many Repubs and people on the religious right are willing to hunker down and give obeisance to Bush, but we end up looking like idiots when we are working harder to justify their actions than the other side is working to expose them.

Whether or not these companies are actually in charge of security has nothing to do with the fact that we would be allowing non-Americans ...especially terrorist-supporting middle eastern monarchistic non-Americans... to have the authority over our ports. It just doesn't seem smart.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Saur: I'm convinced that the Bush administration has done a poor job in PR. I'm past frustrated. They have the moral high ground and they are STILL trying too hard to be nice...after all this time! It's WAY past the time to take off the gloves, but they had better do it fast, and use the brass knucks!

It almost has that same feel when Bush 41 laid down in the re-election and let Clinton walk all over him. This is plain wierd.

Can anyone say OLIGARCHY?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home