Friday, May 12, 2006

So What's in an Idol?

We Get the 'Idols' We Deserve

All in all, I've watched 38 minutes total of American Idol this season. I'm sorry, but I can't handle watching mediocre singers flop, and a few really good singers get voted off, left with the cuties to make it. Such is the case this week. I surfed through the channels and found a Chris Daughtry ending the program with a song. My wife quipped, "I bet he was voted off." I said, "No Way! He's too good!" She said, "The loseres usually have their swan song before they leave."

Well, she was right and I was shocked and then, reality hit me. 'American Idol' is not a talent contest; it's a business that uses the "Democratic system" of phone voting to choose "America's Choice." The criteria: Look good, look good, and sing well enough to sell CD's. What a money making farce.

Last year's Bo Bice, my choice, didn't win because, one, he's a rocker, two, he wasn't a cutie, and three, he wasn't a cutie and four, he's a rocker. This year I predict Katharine McPhee will win. Taylor Hicks (Joe Cocker) and Elliott Yamin (Andy Williams in a blazer) are not going to make it. McPhee is sexy, female and could be naughty, but isn't...yet. Wait until she meets her competition.

I have no worries though, as long as I have "24" and "Deal or No Deal" for my television fix. I do know one thing, if Jack Bauer entered "American Idol," he'd win...and reduce Simon to wimpy, whiney little boy, begging Jack to keep him alive. I'm sure Jack will do the right thing for America!

7 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I swear this is the last season I'll watch American Idol. It's just like you said--based on zero talent and all about looks and personality.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said...

'American Idol' is not a talent contest; it's a business that uses the "Democratic system" of phone voting to choose "America's Choice." The criteria: Look good, look good, and sing well enough to sell CD's. What a money making farce.

Perfect description of how the Republican Party gets candidates elected.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Shaw:

*LOL*

I was wondering when you'd come on.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Sadie Lou:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think the first season with Kelly Clarkson as winner was the best.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Shaw:

After a nights sleep, I can think more clearly. Unplug, woman! Besides, wasn't it Kerry who played his guitar and Clinton his saxaphone? I don't recall what Bush played...a harmonica? Also, I thought it was Democrats who have a saying, vote early and vote often!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said...

UL said: "Besides, wasn't it Kerry who played his guitar and Clinton his saxaphone? I don't recall what Bush played..."


I do. He played the American people--for suckers!

PS. I thought Bo Bice was the best last year, too. Haven't watched this year at all.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Underground Logician said...

Shaw, your such a kidder!

Bo is good, no doubt. Don't know where I heard this, so for what it's worth...a man has a text messaging program that finds open lines to dial in a vote. Invariably, the more open lines are those contestants who are not getting the necessary votes to win. Kind a spoils the whole process, just like dead Chicago democrats voting for Kerry.

(Aren't digs fun?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home